- 121 Downloads
365体育网站The adrenal glands are part of the endocrine system that is comprised of various glands that are located throughout the body. These glands are responsible for synthesizing and producing hormones that communicate regulatory information to cells and organs. The adrenal glands are primarily responsible for the stress response in the human body secondary to physical or emotional stimuli. The two adrenal glands are pyramid-shaped organs located directly anterior to the kidneys and behind the peritoneum. Each adrenal gland consists of two distinct portions: an inner medulla and an outer cortex. Each portion has differing but interrelated structures and hormonal functions.
365体育网站The adrenal medulla synthesizes and secretes the catecholamines epinephrine and norepinephrine. Major effects of catecholamines are increased rate and force of contraction of the heart muscle, constriction of blood vessels, dilation of...
KeywordsAdrenal Gland Anorexia Nervosa Eating Disorder Chronic Stress Adrenal Medulla
References and Further Readings
- Ebstrup, J., Eplov, L., Pisinger, C., & Jorgensen, T. (2011). Association between the five factor personality traits and perceived stress: Is the effect medicated by general self-efficacy? Anxiety, Stress, and Coping, 6, 1–13.
- Howard, J. (1990). Type A behavior, personality, and sympathetic response. Behavioral Medicine, 16(4), 149–160.
- McCance, K., & Huether, S. (2006). Pathophysiology: The biologic basis for disease in adults and children (5th ed.). St. Louis: Mosby.
- McPhee, S., & Papadakis, M. (2010). Current medical diagnosis and treatment. New York: McGraw Hill.
- Pathology Outlines. (2016). Adrenal gland and paraganglia. Retrieved 27 Mar 2016, from