Alzheimer, Alois (1864–1915)
- 158 Downloads
Aloysius “Alois” Alzheimer
Date Country and City of Birth
365体育网站June 14, 1864, Marktbreit, Bavaria
Date City of Death
365体育网站December 19, 1915, Breslau, Prussia (present-day Wrolaw, Poland)
History of Life
Aloysius, or Alois as he was usually called, Alzheimer was born June 14, 1864 in Marktbreit, Bavaria, Germany, as the son of the notary Edward Alzheimer and his second wife Barbara Busch (sister of his first wife who had died). As child the family moved to Aschaffenburg (more than 100 km away), to give the children the opportunity to attend the Kronberg-Gymnasium in that city. After this high school training, Aloysius attended the medical school at Würzburg University, interrupted for a study period in Tübingen. He defended in 1887 his dissertation on the function of cerumenal glands and finished his medical training in 1888.
The same year Alzheimer was accepted as junior doctor (Assistenenzartzt,) in psychiatry with Prof....
KeywordsRheumatic Fever Senile Dementia State Mental Hospital Cigar Smoker Presenile Dementia
References and Further Reading
- Alzheimer, A. (1898). Neuere Arbeiten über die Dementia senilis und die auf atheromatöser Gefässerkrankung basierenden Gehirnkrankheiten. Monatsschrift für Psychiatrie und Neurologie, 3, 101–115.
- Alzheimer, A. (1907). Über eine eigenartige Erkrankung der Hirnrinde. Allgemeine Zeitschrift für Psychiatrie, 64, 146–148.
- Cipriani, G., Dolciotti, C., Picchi, L., & Bonuccelli, U. (2010). Alzheimer and his disease: A brief history. Neurological Sciences, 32(2), 275–279.
- Graeber, M. B., & Mehraein, P. (1999). Reanalysis of the first case of “Alzheimer’s disease”. European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience, 249(3), S10–S13. doi:10.1007/PL00014167. ISSN 0940-1334.
- Prayson, R. A., & Goldman, J. R. (2005). Neuropathology A volume in the series foundations in diagnostic pathology. Churchill/Livingstone: Elsevier.
- A current international neuropathological consensus definition of Alzheimer disease can be found at .