Contribution of Forest Ecosystem Services Toward Food Security and Nutrition
- 151 Downloads
Forest ecosystem services can be explained in three interrelated frameworks i.e. (i) Natural Resource Accounting framework (NRA) and/or Non-timber Forest Products framework, which entail direct use benefits, indirect use benefits and intermediate use services, (ii) Ecosystem Services (ES) which comprises ecosystem processes (supporting services) and ecosystem services (provisioning services, regulating services and cultural services), and (iii) Sustainable Forest Management (SFM) (Dlamini and Samboko 2017).
The working definition of food security for this chapter was adopted from the World Food Summit of 1996. The World Food Summit definition states that: “Food security exists when all people, at all times, have physical and economic access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food that meets their dietary needs and food preferences for an active and healthy life” (World Food Summit 1996).
This chapter discusses how forest ecosystem services (FES) can contribute...
KeywordsForest ecosystem Food security Environmental sustainability Biodiversity Trees
- Adam YO, Pretzsch J (2010) Contribution of local trade in Ziziphusspina-christi L. fruits to rural household’s economy in Rashad Locality: Sudan. Forestry Ideas 1: 19–27.
- Aju PC (2014) The role of forestry in agriculture and food security. Am J Res Commun 2(6):109–121. . ISSN: 2325-4076
- Appiah M, Blay D, Damnyag L, Dwomoh FK, Pappinen A, Luukkanen O (2007) Dependence on forest resources and tropical deforestation in Ghana. Environ Dev Sustain 11:471–487.
- Babulo B, Muys B, Nega F, Tollens E, Nyssen J, Dekkers J, Mathijs E (2009) The economic contribution of forest resources to rural livelihoods in Tigray, northern Ethiopia. Forest Policy Econ 11:109–117.
- Basnett BS, Martin A, Rai ND, Smith-Hall C (2015) Drivers of forests and tree-based systems for food security and nutrition. In: Vira B, Wildburger C, Mansourian S (eds) Forests and food. Open Book Publishers, Cambridge, UK
- Benıtez-Badillo G, Lascurain-Range M, Álvarez-Palacios JL, Gomez-Daz JA, Ò-Reyes SA, Valos-Sotelo R, López-Acosta JC (2018) Influence of land-use changes (1993 and 2013) in the distribution of wild edible fruits from Veracruz (Mexico). Trop Conserv Sci 11:1–11
- Binam JN, Place F, Djala AA, Kalinganire A (2017) Effects of local institutions in the adoption of agroforestry innovations: evidence of farmer managed natural regeneration and its implications for rural livelihoods in the Sahel. Agric Food Econ 5:2
- Bwalya SM (2013) Household dependence on forest income in rural Zambia. Zambia Soc Sci J 2:6.
- Carrasco LR, Papworth SK, Reed J, Symes WS, Ickowitz A, Clements T, Peh KSH, Sunderland T (2016) Five challenges to reconcile agricultural land use and forest ecosystem services in Southeast Asia. Conserv Biol 30:962
- Cruz-Garcia GS, Sachet E, Vanegas M, Piispanen K (2016) Are the major imperatives of food security missing in ecosystem services research? Ecosyst Serv 19:19–31
- Das T, Das AK (2005) Inventorying plant biodiversity in home gardens: a case study in Barak Valley: Assam, North East India. Curr Sci 89:155–163.
- Dawson IK, Place F, Torquebiau E, Malézieux E, Iiyama M, Sileshi G, Kehlenbeck K, Masters E, McMullin S, Jamnadass R (2013) Background paper for the international conference on forests for food security and nutrition. FAO, Rome, 13–15 May, 2013
- Delvaux PAG, Paloma SGY (2018) Access to common resources and food security: evidence from National Surveys in Nigeria. Food Sec 10:121–140
- Dlamini CS, Samboko PC (2017) The Value of Non-timber Forest Products in Zambia: Direct use Benefits and their Contribution to Rural Livelihoods. IAPRI Working Paper No. 118. and
- Dlamini CS (2007) Towards the improvement of policy and strategy development for the sustainable management of Non-timber Forest Products: Swaziland-a case study. Ph.D. Dissertation. University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
- Dlamini CS (2012) Types of values and valuation methods for environmental resources: highlights of key aspects, concepts and approaches in the economic valuation of non-timber forest products. J Hortic For 4(12): 181–189.
- Dlamini CS (2013) A protocol for community-based forest enterprises: the case of non-timber forest products. J Hortic For 5(1):1–12.
- Dlamini CS (2015) The European Union (EU) FLEGT Scheme – a critical analysis of its potential for promoting effective & equitable forest governance in Africa. MPhil. Dissertation. University of Cape Town, School for Advanced Legal Studies (Institute of Marine and Environmental Law)
- Dlamini CS, Dlamini PC (2017) The value of non-timber Forest products in Zambia: direct use benefits and their contribution to rural livelihoods. IAPRI Working Paper No. 118. and
- Dlamini CS, Geldenhuys CJ (2009) The socio-economic status of the NTFP sub-sector in Swaziland. South For 71(4):311–318
- Dlamini CS, Geldenhuys CJ (2011) Towards a theoretical framework for the sustainable management of NTFPs in Swaziland: a review paper. J Geogr Reg Plann 4(15):715–730.
- Dlamini CS, Montouroy Y (2017) Governing sustainable Forest management issues in polycentric governance: the EU FLEGT action plan as a regulatory catalyzer. Environ Law Rev 19(1):6–29
- FAO (2011) Forests for improved food security and nutrition report. FAO, Rome.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (2016) State of the World’s forests 2016. Forests and agriculture: land-use challenges and opportunities. FAO Report
- Franks P, Hou-Jones X (2016) Managing trade-offs between growing food and conserving forests in sub-Saharan Africa. International Institute for Environment and Development (2016) Stable URL:
- Garen EJ, Saltonstall K, Ashton MS, Slusser JL, Mathias S, Hall JS (2011) The tree planting and protecting culture of cattle ranchers and small-scale agriculturalists in rural Panama: opportunities for reforestation and land restoration. For Ecol Manag 261:1684–1695.
- Heubach K, Wittig R, Nuppenau E, Hahn K (2011) The economic importance of nontimber forest products for livelihood maintenance of rural west African communities: a case study from northern Benin. Ecol Econ 70:1991–2001.
- Ingram V, Ndumbe NL, Ewane EM (2012) Small scale, high value: Gnetum africanum and buchholzianum value chains in Cameroon. Small Scale For 11(4):539–566.
- IUCN (2007) Climate change vulnerability Assessment in Zambia. Climate Change and Development Project, Pilot Phase, Zambia
- Kamanga P, Vedeld P, Sjaastad E (2009) Forest incomes and rural livelihoods in Chiradzulu District, Malawi. Ecol Econ 68:613–624.
- Kar SP, Jacobson MG (2012) NTFP income contribution to household economy and related socio-economic factors: lessons from Bangladesh. Forest Policy Econ 14:136–142.
- Kehlenbeck K, Kindt R, Sinclair FL, Simons AJ, Jamnadass R (2011) Exotic tree species displace indigenous ones on farms at intermediate altitudes around Mount Kenya. Agrofor Syst 83:133–147.
- Lengkeek AG, Carsan S, Jaenicke H (2003) A wealth of knowledge: how farmers in Meru, Central Kenya, manage their tree nurseries. In: Lengkeek AG (ed) Diversity makes a difference: farmers managing inter- and intra-specific tree species diversity in Meru Kenya, PhD Thesis. Wageningen University, Wageningen
- Leßmeister A, Heubach K, Lykke AM, Thiombiano A, Wittig R, Hahn K (2018) The contribution of non-timber forest products (NTFPs) to rural household revenues in two villages in South-Eastern Burkina Faso. Agrofor Syst 92:139–155
- Marjokorpi A, Ruokolainen K (2003) The role of traditional forest gardens in the conservation of tree species in West Kalimantan: Indonesia. Biodivers Conserv 12:799–822.
- Mofya-Mukuka R, Simoloka A (2015) Do forest resources matter for rural household food and nutrition security? IAPRI working paper no. 102. Indaba Agricultural Policy Research Institute (IAPRI), Lusaka. Retrieved from
- Mulenga BP, Richardson RB, Mapemba L, Tembo G (2011) The contribution of nontimber forest products to rural household income in Zambia. Working paper no. 54. Food Security Research Project Lusaka, Zambia.
- Mulenga BP, Richardson RB, Tembo G (2012) Non-timber forest products and rural poverty alleviation in Zambia. IAPRI working paper no. 62. IAPRI, Lusaka
- Philpott SM, Arendt WJ, Armbrecht I, Bichier P, Diestch TV, Gordon C, Greenberg R, Perfecto I, Reynoso-Santos R, Soto-Pinto L, Tejeda-Cruz C, Williams-Linera G, Valenzuelaa J, Zolotoff JM (2008) Biodiversity loss in Latin American coffee landscapes: review of the evidence on ants, birds, and trees. Conserv Biol 22:1093–1105.
- Poppy GM, Chiotha S, Eigenbrod F, Harvey CA, Honzák M, Hudson MD, Jarvis A, Madise NJ, Schreckenberg K, Shackleton CM, Villa F, Dawson TP (2014) Source: Philosophical Transactions: Biological Sciences. Achieving food and environmental security: new approaches to close the gap. Philos Trans R Soc B 369(1639):1–13
- Pouliot M (2012) Contribution of “Women’s gold” to west African livelihoods: the case of Shea (Vitellaria paradoxa) in Burkina Faso. Econ Bot 66(3):237–248.
- Pouliot M, Treue T (2013) Rural people’s reliance on forests and the non-forest environment in West Africa: evidence from Ghana and Burkina Faso. World Dev 43:180–193.
- Rowland D, Blackie RR, Powell B, Djoudi H, Vergles E, Vinceti B, Ickowitz A (2015) Direct contributions of dry forests to nutrition: a review. Int For Rev 17(S2):2015
- Sambuichi RHR, Haridasan M (2007) Recovery of species richness and conservation of native Atlantic forest trees in the cacao plantations of southern Bahia in Brazil. Biodivers Conserv 16:3681–3701.
- Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity (2010) Ecosystem goods and services in development planning: a good practice guide. Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity, Montreal, p 80
- Shackleton CM, Shackleton SE, Buitenb E, Bird N (2007) The importance of dry woodlands and forests in rural livelihoods and poverty alleviation in South Africa. Forest Policy Econ 9(5):558–577.
- Shackleton S, Paumgarten F, Kassa H, Husseelman M, Zida M (2011) Opportunities for enhancing poor women’s socioeconomic empowerment in the value chains of three African non-timber forest products. Int For Rev Special Issue 13:136.
- Smith RD, Maltby E (2003) Using the ecosystem approach to implement the convention on biological diversity: key issues and case studies. IUCN, Gland
- Sonwa DS, Nkongmeneck BA, Weise SF, Tchatat M, Adesina AA, Janssens MJJ (2007) Diversity of plants in cocoa agroforests in the humid forest zone of Southern Cameroon. Biodivers Conserv 16:2385–2400.
- Swamy L, Drazen E, Johnson WR, Bukoski JJ (2018) The future of tropical forests under the United Nations sustainable development goals. J Sustain For 37(2):221–226
- Thompson I, Mackey B, McNulty S, Mosseler A (2009) Forest resilience, biodiversity, and climate change. A synthesis of the biodiversity/resilience/stability relationship in forest ecosystems. Technical series no. 43. Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity, Montreal, 67 pages
- Turpie J, Warr B, Ingram JC (2015) Benefits of forest ecosystems in Zambia and the role of REDD+ in a green economy transformation. United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), Nairobi
- UN (2008) Resolution 62/98 establishing the non-legally binding instrument on all types of forests UN population prospects. 2017. Report by the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs Population Division
- Vedeld P, Angelsen A, Sjaastad E, Kobugabe Berg G (2004) Counting on the environment: forest incomes and the rural poor. Environment economics series no. 98. World Bank, Washington, DC.
- Vira B, Wildburger C, Mansourian S (2015) Forests, Trees and Landscapes for Food Security and Nutrition. A Global Assessment Report. IUFRO World Series, vol 33. International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO), Vienna. 172 p
- World Food Summit (1996) Rome declaration on World Food Security. FAO, Rome
- Yemiru T, Roos A, Campbell BM, Bohlin F (2010) Forest incomes and poverty alleviation under participatory forest management in the bale highlands, Southern Ethiopia. Int For Rev 12(1):66–77.