Child Nutrition: Benchmarking Progress since Implementation of UN Sustainable Development Goals
- 20 Downloads
365体育网站The SDGs are seen as a globally agreed upon agenda providing nations with requisite standards for assessing performance on targets to promote welfare, improve health, and advance equity and environmental sustainability. Within this framework, child nutrition is conceptualized as a continuum reflecting the dietary needs of healthy children under the age of 5. Since child growth is accepted as a useful measure of child as well as overall health status worldwide, the World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines highlight four essential anthropometric indicators to estimate nutritional imbalances among children under the age of 5: stunting, wasting, overweight, and underweight. These indicators are articulated in SDG #2, providing guidelines for assessing the prevalence of stunting and malnutrition (defined as wasting and overweight) among children under the age of 5.
- Abuya BA, Ciera J, Kimani-Murage E (2012) Effect of mother’s education on child’s nutritional status in the slums of Nairobi. BMC Pediatr 12:80
- Benson T (ed) (2008) Improving nutrition as a development priority: addressing undernutrition in national policy processes in Sub-Saharan Africa. International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington, DC
- Bhutta ZA, Das JK, Rizvi A, Gaffey MF, Walker N, Horton S, … Black RE (2013) Evidence-based interventions for improvement of maternal and child nutrition: what can be done and at what cost? Lancet 382(9890):452–477.
- Blesh J, Hoey L, Jones AD, Friedmann H, Perfecto I (2019) Development pathways toward “zero hunger”. World Dev 118:1–14.
- Bronfenbrenner U, Morris PA (1998) The ecology of developmental processes. In: Handbook of child psychology: theoretical models of human development, vol 1, 5th edn. Wiley, Hoboken, pp 993–1028
- Bruckauf Z, Cook S (2017) Child-centred approach to sustainable development goals in high-income countries: conceptual issues and monitoring approaches. Innocenti Working Papers 06(June). Retrieved from
- Castañeda A, Doan D, Newhouse D, Nguyen MC, Uematsu H, Azevedo JP (2018) A new profile of the global poor. World Dev 101:250–267.
- Darrouzet-Nardi AF, Miller LC, Joshi N, Mahato S, Lohani M, Rogers BL (2016) Child dietary quality in rural Nepal: effectiveness of a community-level development intervention. Food Policy 61:185–197.
- Development Initiatives (2018) 2018 global nutrition report: shining a light to spur action on nutrition. Development Initiatives Poverty Research Ltd., Bristol
- Dureab F, Al-Falahi E, Ismail O, Al-Marhali L, Al Jawaldeh A, Nuri NN, … Jahn A (2019) An overview on acute malnutrition and food insecurity among children during the conflict in Yemen. Children 6(6):77.
- FAO (2018) Monitoring food security in countries with conflict situations a joint FAO/WFP update for the United Nations Security Council
- FAO, IFAD, UNICEF, WFP, & W (2019) The state of food security and nutrition in the world 2019: safeguarding against economic slowdowns and downturns. Food & Agriculture Org, Rome
- FSIN (2018) Global report on food crisis 2018. Food Security Information Network, 202. Retrieved from
- FSIN (2019) Global report on food crises 2019. World Food Programme.
- Global Parliamentary Summit (2018) Global parliamentary summit against hunger and malnutrition: call for action to achieve Zero Hunger and ensure the right to adequate food for all
- Glover D, Poole N (2019) Principles of innovation to build nutrition-sensitive food systems in South Asia. Food Policy 82(October 2018):63–73.
- Gupta A, Thakur N (2018) Infant and young feeding practices in India: current status and progress towards SDG targets. Proc Indian Natl Sci Acad 84(4):853–865.
- Howell E, Waidmann T, Holla N, Birdsall N, Jiang K (2019) The Impact of Civil Conflict on Child Malnutrition and Mortality, Nigeria, 2002–2013. SSRN Electronic Journal, August 2018, 2002–2013.
- Inelmen EM, Sergi G (2006) Biochemical parameters of nutrition. In: Anker SD, Inui A, Morley JE, Fanelli FR, Scevola D, Schuster MW, … G Mantovani (eds) Cachexia and wasting: a modern approach, pp 59–72. Springer, Mailand.
- IPCC (2018) Chapter 5: food security. IPCC special report on climate change, desertification, land degradation, sustainable land management, food security, and greenhouse gas Fluxes in terrestrial ecosystems
- IPCC (2019) Summary for policymakers: climate change and land. IPCC special report on climate change, desertification, land degradation, sustainable land management, food security, and greenhouse gas fluxes in terrestrial ecosystems.
- Ke J, Ford-Jones EL (2015) Food insecurity and hunger: a review of the effects on children’s health and behaviour. Paediatr Child Health (Canada) 20(2):89–91.
- Lloyd SJ, Sari Kovats R, Chalabi Z (2011) Climate change, crop yields, and undernutrition: development of a model to quantify the impact of climate scenarios on child undernutrition. Environ Health Perspect 119(12): 1817–1823.
- Lobell DB, Gourdji SM (2012) The influence of climate change on global crop productivity. Plant Physiol 160(4):1686–1697.
- Millimet DL, Roy M (2015) Partial identification of the long-run causal effect of food security on child health. Empir Econ 48(1):83–141.
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (2016) Health, Nutrition and Population Strategic Investment Plan (HNPSIP) for 2016–21
- Olomola AS, Nwafor M (2018) Nigeria agriculture sector performance review: a background report for the Nigeria 2017 agriculture joint sector review
- Otekunrin OA, Otekunrin OA, Momoh S, Ayinde IA (2019) How far has Africa gone in achieving the zero hunger target? Evid Nigeria 22(August):1–12
- Richter LM, Daelmans B, Lombardi J, Heymann J, Boo FL, Behrman JR, … Darmstadt, GL (2017) Investing in the foundation of sustainable development: pathways to scale up for early childhood development. Lancet 389(10064):103–118.
- Ritchie R, Mispy O-O (2018) Measuring progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals. Retrieved 19 Sept 2019 from
- Shim J-S, Oh K, Kim HC (2014) Epidemiology and health dietary assessment methods in epidemiologic studies. Epidemiol Health 36:1–8.
- Smith MD, Rabbitt MP, Coleman-Jensen A (2017) Who are the World’s food insecure? New evidence from the food and agriculture Organization’s food insecurity experience scale. World Dev 93:402–412.
- Speirs KE, Fiese BH, STRONG Kids Research Team (2016) The relationship between food insecurity and BMI for preschool children. Matern Child Health J 20(4):925–933.
- Tuffrey V, Hall A (2016) Methods of nutrition surveillance in low-income countries. Emerg Themes Epidemiol 13(1):1–21.
- UN (2019) Adapt now: a global call for leadership on climate resilience. Retrieved from
- UN General Assembly (2015) Transforming our world: the 2030 agenda for sustainable development, 16301 §
- UNDESA (2015) Harnessing innovative financing for nutrition in Africa” and launch of the Africa regional nutrition strategy (ARNS) and commissioning of the phase II Cost of Hunger Study (COHA). Third international conference on financing for development, vol 07583. Retrieved from
- UNICEF, WHO, World Bank (2019) Joint child malnutrition estimates (global and regional), April 2019 edition. Retrieved 20 Sept 2009, from
- United Nations (2018) Global Nutrition report. Chapter 6. Conclusion: critical steps to get nutrition on track
- UNOCHA (2018) Annual Report 2018. Retrieved from
- UNOCHA (2019) United nations coordinated support to people affected by disaster and conflict. Retrieved from
- UNSTATS (2019) Annex IV. Final list of proposed Sustainable Development Goal indicators. Retrieved from
- WHO (2010) Interpretation Guide Nutrition Landscape Information System (NLIS) Country Profile indiCators
- WHO (2014) Comprehensive implementation plan on maternal, infant and young child nutrition, vol 111. WHO Press, Geneva.
- WHO (2017) Ending obesity childhood, implementation plan: executive summary. World Health Organization. Retrieved from
- WHO-UNICEF (2017) Discussion paper the extension of the 2025 maternal, Infant and Young Child nutrition targets to 2030, 1–12
- WHO Newsroom (2018)