Addressing Food Security Issues: Understanding and Anticipating the Future
- 112 Downloads
Foresight builds the capacity to think systematically about the future to inform decision-making today. It is a systematic, participatory, future intelligence gathering and medium-to-long-term vision-building process aimed at present-day decisions and mobilizing joint actions. To address food security issues, foresight can support decision-making toward a condition in which all people at all times have economic, social, and physical access to sufficient, safe, and nutritious food that meets their dietary needs, aligns with their preferences, and allows them to maintain a healthy and active life. Specifically, foresight can inform plausible alternative narratives about the future of food demand and supply in the next 5, 10, or 50 years. By informing policies, a system stewardship process enables adapting policy and steering the system toward established high-level food security goals for the future.
365体育网站One of today’s greatest challenges is achieving sustainable food...
- Agusdinata DB (2008) Exploratory modeling and analysis: a promising method to deal with deep uncertainty. Ph.D. Thesis, Delft University
- Belton V, Stewart T (2002) Multiple criteria decision analysis: an integrated approach. Springer Science & Business Media, New York
- Bingley K (2014) Using foresight to cope with uncertainty. IDS Policy Briefing 74, Brighton: IDS
- Borgatti SP, Mehra A, Brass DJ, Labianca G (2009) Network analysis in the social sciences. Science 323(5916):892–895
- Bourgeois R, Sette C (2017) The state of foresight in food and agriculture: challenges for impact and participation. Futures 93:115–131
- Cappellini RA, Ceponis MJ (1984) Postharvest losses in fresh fruits and vegetables. In: Moline HE (ed) Postharvest pathology of fruits and vegetables: postharvest losses in perishable crops. Agricultural Experiment Station, Berkeley, pp 24–30. Univ. Calif. Bull. 1914
- Clark JE (1998) Taste and flavour: their importance in food choice and acceptance. Proc Nutr Soc 57:639–643
- Clark M, Tilman D (2017) Comparative analysis of environmental impacts of agricultural production systems, agricultural input efficiency, and food choice. Environ Res Lett 12(6):064016
- Du SF, Mroz TA, Zhai FY, Popkin BM (2004) Rapid income growth adversely affects diet quality in China particularly for the poor! Soc Sci Med 59(7):1505–1515
- Erb KH, Lauk C, Kastner T, Mayer A, Theurl MC, Haberl H (2016) Exploring the biophysical option space for feeding the world without deforestation. Nature communications, 7, 11382
- FAO (2013) The State of Food Insecurity in the World: The Multiple Dimensions of Food Security (Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, Rome)
- FAO, IFAD, UNICEF, WFP, WHO (2017) The state of food security and nutrition in the world. Retrieved from
- FAOSTAT (2009). Retrieved from
- Faure E, Arushanyan Y, Ekener E, Miliutenko S, Finnveden G (2017) Methods for assessing future scenarios from a sustainability perspective. Eur J Futur Res 5(1):1
- Foley JA, Ramankutty N, Brauman KA, Cassidy ES, Gerber JS, Johnston M, … Zaks DPM (2011) Solutions for a cultivated planet. Nature 478(7369):337–342
- Gies L, Agusdinata DB, Merwade V (2014) Drought adaptation policy development and assessment in East Africa using hydrologic and system dynamics modeling. Nat Hazards 74(2):789–813
- Godfray HCJ, Beddington JR, Crute IR, Haddad L, Lawrence D, Muir JF, … Toulmin C (2010) Food security: the challenge of feeding 9 billion people. Science 327(5967):812–818
- IPCC, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (2007) Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Working group I contribution to the fourth assessment report of the intergovernmental panel on climate change, Figure 104. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge UK
- Jemala M (2010) Evolution of foresight in the global historical context. Foresight 12(4):65–81.
- Jiren TS, Bergsten A, Dorresteijn I, Collier NF, Leventon J, Fischer J (2018) Integrating food security and biodiversity governance: a multi-level social network analysis in Ethiopia. Land Use Policy 78:420–429
- Kahane A (2012) Transformative scenario planning: changing the future by exploring alternatives. Strateg Leadersh 40(5):19–23.
- Kearney J (2010) Food consumption trends and drivers. Philos Trans R Soc B 365(1554):2793–2807
- Khan MA (1981) Evaluation of food selection patterns and preferences. CRC Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 15:129–153
- Kreibich R (2006) Zukunftsforschung. Arbeitsbericht Nr. 23/2006. Institut für Zukunftsstudien und Technologiebewertung/ Institute for Future Studies and Technology Assessment, Berlin [in German]
- Lobell DB, Burke MB, Tebaldi C, Mastrandrea MD, Falcon WP, Naylor RL (2008) Prioritizing climate change adaptation needs for food security in 2030. Science 319(5863):607–610
- Nelson GC, Rosegrant MW, Palazzo A, Gray I, Ingersoll C, Robertson R, Msangi S (2010) Food security, farming, and climate change to 2050: scenarios, results, policy options, vol 172. International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington, DC
- Nicholson SE (1996) A review of climate dynamics and climate variability in eastern Africa. In The Limnology, Climatology and Paleoclimatology of the East African Lakes, pp. 25–56
- Nilsson M, Griggs D, Visbeck M (2016) Policy: map the interactions between sustainable development goals. Nature 534:320–322
- Pollard J, Kirk SFL, Cade JE (2002) Factors affecting food choice in relation to fruit and vegetable intake: a review. Nutr Res Rev 15(2):373–387
- Ram C, Montibeller G, Morton A (2011) Extending the use of scenario planning and MCDA for the evaluation of strategic options. J Oper Res Soc 62(5):817–829
- Richardson KJ, Lewis KH, Krishnamurthy PK, Kent C, Wiltshire AJ, Hanlon HM (2018) Food security outcomes under a changing climate: impacts of mitigation and adaptation on vulnerability to food insecurity. Clim Chang 147(1–2):327–341
- Rikkonen P (2005) Scenarios for future agriculture in Finland: a Delphi study among agri-food sector stakeholders. Agric Food Sci 14(3):205–223
- Robinson Sherman, Daniel Mason-D’Croz, Timothy Sulser, Shahnila Islam, Ricky Robertson, Tingju Zhu, Arthur Gueneau, Gauthier Pitois, and Mark W Rosegrant (2015) “The international model for policy analysis of agricultural commodities and trade (IMPACT): model description for version 3.”
- Rowe G, Wright G (1999) The Delphi technique as a forecasting tool: issues and analysis. Int J Forecast 15(4):353–375
- Rutten M, Achterbosch TJ, de Boer IJM, Cuaresma JC, Geleijnse JM, Havlík P, Heckelei T et al (2018) Metrics, models and foresight for European sustainable food and nutrition security: the vision of the SUSFANS project. Agric Syst 163:45–57
- Suweis S, Carr JA, Maritan A, Rinaldo A, D’Odorico P (2015) Resilience and reactivity of global food security. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 112(22):6902–6907
- The Government Office for Science (2011) Foresight, U. K The future of food and farming. Final Project Report, London
- Timmer CP (2000) The macro dimensions of food security: economic growth, equitable distribution, and food price stability. Food Policy 25(3):283–295
- UNDAF (2010) How to prepare an UNDAF (Parts I & II): guidelines for UN Country teams.
- Wardle J, Parmenter K, Waller J (2000) Nutrition knowledge and food intake. Appetite 34(3):269–275
- Wiek A, Binder C, Scholz RW (2006) Functions of scenarios in transition processes. Futures 38(7):740–766.