Adult Protective Services
- 76 Downloads
Adult Protective Services (APS) is a social services program aimed at promoting safety, independence, and quality of life for vulnerable adults who are in danger or victims of abuse, neglect (by self or others), or exploitation (ANE).
APS originated in mid-twentieth-century America out of concern among community leaders in urban centers for the growing number of older people living alone, without nearby family support, often mentally compromised, and potentially subjected to harm without assistance. The program rapidly spread across the country due to impetus and funding from Title XX of the Social Security Act, now part of the Social Service Block Grant (Mixson 2010365体育网站). Today, APS is the only program dedicated to addressing the mistreatment of vulnerable adults nationwide.
APS has four core functions: it receives and investigates ANE reports or referrals; assesses client status and service needs; arranges and coordinates or provides services to prevent or treat...
- Acker D, Aurelien G, Beatrice M et al (2018) NAMRS FFY2016 report 2: key indicators. Administration for Community Living. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC
- Blenkner M, Bloom M, Nielson M et al (1974) Final report: protective services for older people: findings from the Benjamin Rose Institute study. The Benjamin Rose Institute, Cleveland
- Elder Justice Innovation Grants (2018). . Accessed 29 Jan 2019
- Ernst JS, Ramsey-Klawsnik H, Schillerstrom JE et al (2014) Informing evidence-based practice: a review of research analyzing adult protective services data. J Elder Abuse Negl 26:458–494.
- Final Voluntary Consensus Guidelines for State APS Systems (2016). . Accessed 29 Jan 2019
- Horowitz G, Estes C (1971) Protective services for the aged. US Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Administration on Aging, Washington, DC
- Lachs MS, Williams CS, O’Brien S et al (1997) Emergency department utilization by older victims of family violence. Ann Emerg Med 30:448–454.
- Mixson PM (2010) Public policy, elder abuse, and adult protective services: the struggle for coherence. J Elder Abuse Negl 22:16–36.
- National Adult Maltreatment Reporting System (2018). . Accessed 29 Jan 2019
- National Adult Protective Services Association APS Example Flow Chart (2016). . Accessed 29 Jan 2019
- State Grants to Enhance Adult Protective Services (2018). . Accessed 29 Jan 2019