Abuse and Caregiving
- 170 Downloads
According to the World Health Organization (2018365体育网站), abuse of an older person is a single or repeated act, or lack of appropriate action, occurring within any relationship where there is an expectation of trust, which causes harm or distress to an older person. This type of violence constitutes a violation of human rights and includes physical, sexual, psychological, and emotional abuse; financial abuse; abandonment and serious loss of dignity and respect. It can also be the result of intentional or unintentional neglect.
The mistreatment of older adults is one of the more egregious issues confronting society today. According to research completed between 2002 and 2015, the global prevalence of domestic elder mistreatment is 15.7%, or about one in six older adults. The rate approximates 141 million global victims of mistreatment annually (Yon et al. 2017365体育网站). Yearly estimates for each of the mistreatment types are...
- Brandl B, Raymond JA (2012) Policy implications of recognizing that caregiver stress is not the primary cause of elder abuse. Generations 36(3):32–39
- Cooper C, Barber J, Griffin M et al (2016) Effectiveness of START psychological intervention in reducing abuse by dementia family carers: randomized controlled trial. Int Psychogeriatr 28(6):881–887.
- Hudson MF (1986) Elder neglect and abuse: current research. In: Pillemer KA, Wolf RS (eds) Elder abuse: conflict in the family. Auburn House, Dover
- Kim T, Jeong H, Won Han J et al (2018) Prevalence and risk factors of abusive behaviors in the caregivers of people with dementia in Korea. Psychiatry Investig 15(7):677–686.
- Lafferty A, Fealy G, Downes C et al (2016) The prevalence of potentially abusive behaviours in family caregiving: findings from a national survey of family carers of older people. Age Ageing 45:703–707.
- Mariam L, McClure R, Robinson JB et al (2015) Eliciting change in at-risk elders (ECARE): evaluation of an elder abuse intervention program. J Elder Abuse Negl 27(1):19–33.
- McDonald L (2018) The mistreatment of older Canadians: findings from the 2015 national prevalence study. J Elder Abuse Negl 30(3):176–120.
- Orfila F, Coma-Solé M, Cabanas M et al (2018) Family caregiver mistreatment of the elderly: prevalence of risk and associated factors. BMC Public Health 18:167.
- Pillemer K, Burnes D, Rifin C, Lachs MS (2016) Elder abuse: global situation, risk factors, and prevention strategies. Gerontologist 56(S2):S194–S205.
- World Health Organization (2018) Fact sheet/elder abuse. June 8th. . Retrieved Jan 2018
- Yan B, Fang E (2018) Abuse of older persons with dementia: a review of the literature. Trauma Violence Abuse 19(2):127–147.
- Yon Y, Mikton CR, Gassoumis ZD, Wilber KH (2017) Elder abuse prevalence in community settings: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Glob Health 1:365–356