Adjustment to Aging
- 173 Downloads
Adjustment to aging is a concept based on different theoretical models, ideas, underlying relationships, and research strategies that can help to comprehend the expansion of current and future cohorts in old age (von Humboldt 2016). Adjustment to aging was initially considered as a combination of the person’s adjustments in different areas of experience, namely, religion, recreation, economic security, employment, family, and friends, together with the overall happiness and satisfaction of the person with his or her situation. Based on the idea of balance, the establishment of the concept of adjustment to aging highlighted that it should be examined as a dynamic process (Burgess et al. 1948).
365体育网站The most pertinent theoretical models related to adjustment to aging only became noticeable after the Second World War. Subsequently, correlates and effects of adjustment to aging (e.g., psychological and environmental...
- Battini E, Maciel E, Finato M (2006) Identificação de variáveis que afetam o envelhecimento: Análise comportamental de um caso clínico [Identification of aging variables: a clinical case report behavioral analysis]. Estud Psicol 23:455–462
- Bloom DE, Canning D (2012) How companies must adapt for an aging workforce. Harvard Business Review. Retrieved from
- Bureau of Labor Statistics (2009) Volunteers by selected characteristics, September 2009, and previous years. Retrieved from
- Burgess EW, Cavan RS, Havighurst RJ (1948) Your activities and attitudes. Science Research Associates, Chicago
- Butler SS, Eckart D (2007) Civic engagement among older adults in a rural community: a case study of the senior companion program. J Community Pract 15(3):77–98.
- Carstensen LL, Fung H, Charles S (2003) Socioemotional selectivity theory and the regulation of emotion in the second half of life. Motiv Emot 27:103–123
- Cohen GD, Perlstein S, Chapline J et al (2006) The impact of professionally conducted cultural programs on the physical health, mental health, and social functioning of older adults. Gerontologist 46(6):726–734.
- Greenfield EA, Oberlink M, Scharlach AE et al (2015) Age-friendly community initiatives: conceptual issues and key questions. Gerontologist 55(2): 191–198.
- Haski-Leventhal D (2009) Elderly volunteering and well-being: a cross-European comparison based on SHARE data. Voluntas 20:388–404
- Hay J, LaBree L, Luo R et al (2002) Cost-effectiveness of preventive occupational therapy for independent-living older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc 50(8):1381–1388.
- Lewis JP (2011) Successful aging through the eyes of Alaska Natives. What it means to be an elder in Bristol Bay, AK. Gerontologist 51(4):540–547.
- Mendoza-Ruvalcaba NM, von Humboldt S, Arias-Merino ED et al (2017) Cross-cultural differences in adjustment to aging: a comparison between Mexico and Portugal. Psychol Community Health 6(1): 117–127.
- Siedlecki KL, Tucker-Drob EM, Oishi S et al (2008) Life satisfaction across adulthood: different determinants at different ages? J Posit Psychol 3(3):53–164.
- Thomae T (1992) Contributions of longitudinal research to a cognitive theory of adjustment to aging. Eur J Personal 6(2):157–175.
- United Nations (2017) The world population prospects: the 2017 revision. The United Nations, New York
- von Humboldt S (2016) Conceptual and methodological issues on the adjustment to aging: perspectives on aging well. Springer, New York.
- von Humboldt S, Leal I, Pimenta F et al (2012a) Latent constructs of adjustment to aging and subjective age in Portugal and Romania: a comparative multiple correspondence analysis. Psychol Community Health 1(1):68–80.
- von Humboldt S, Leal I, Pimenta F (2012b) Analyzing adjustment to aging and subjective age from Angolan and Portuguese community-dwelling older adults’ perspectives. Int J Gerontol 27(4):209–215.
- von Humboldt S, Leal I, Pimenta F et al (2013) Assessing adjustment to aging: a validation study for the Adjustment to Aging Scale (AtAS). Soc Indic Res 119(1):455–472.
- von Humboldt S, Leal I, Pimenta F (2014a) What predicts older adults’ adjustment to aging in later life? The impact of sense of coherence, subjective well-being and socio-demographic, lifestyle and health-related factors. Educ Gerontol 40(9):641–654.
- von Humboldt S, Leal I, Pimenta F (2014b) Does spirituality really matter? – a study on the potential of spirituality to older adult’s adjustment to aging. Jpn Psychol Res 56:114–125.