- 127 Downloads
Reporting a “fragmented health system” due to a lack of consistency in definitions, the World Health Organization (WHO) defines acute care in the context of an aging population of individuals living with multiple chronic illnesses and an increasing demand for acute services (Hirshon et al. 2013). Focusing on the time-sensitive nature of needs requiring rapid intervention, the definition consists of services “whose primary purpose is to improve health” (Hirshon et al. 2013365体育网站: 386) with inclusion of health system components and functions, such as emergency, trauma, surgery, urgent care, intensive care, short-term stabilization, and prehospital care (ambulance or community care prior to transfer). Ideally, acute care functions in a health-system paradigm along with preventative and primary care, although research is needed to best integrate acute care across healthcare systems and better coordination is needed between...
- Ahmed NN, Pearce SE (2010) Acute care for the elderly: a literature review. Popul Health Manag 13(4):219–225.
- Alvarez R, Ginsburg J, Grabowski J et al (2016) The social work role in reducing 30-day readmissions: the effectiveness of the Bridge Model of transitional care. J Gerontol Soc Work 59(3):222–227.
- Berges IM, Amr S, Abraham DS et al (2015) Associations between depressive symptoms and 30-day hospital readmissions among older adults. J Depress Anxiety.
- Bernacki RE, Block SD. American College of Physicians high value care task force(2014) Communication about serious illness care goals: a review and synthesis of best practices. JAMA Intern Med 174(12):1994–2003.
- Chong E, Ho E, Baldevarona-Llego J et al (2018) Frailty in hospitalized older adults: comparing different frailty measures in predicting short- and long-term patient outcomes. J Am Med Dir Assoc 19(5):450–457.
- Counsell SR (2011) Integrating medical and social services with GRACE. Generations 35(1):56–59
- de Gelder J, Lucke JA, de Groot B et al (2018) Predictors and outcomes of revisits in older adults discharged from the emergency department. J Am Geriatr Soc 66(4):735–741.
- Ellis G, Gardner M, Tsiachristas A, Langhorne P, Burke O, Harwood RH, Conroy SP, Kircher T, Somme D, Saltvedt I, Wald H, O’Neill D, Robinson D, Shepperd S (2017) Comprehensive geriatric assessment for older adults admitted to hospital. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, Issue 9. Art. No.: CD006211.
- Ferdinand AO, Cheon O, Bako AT et al (2019) Interventions aimed at addressing unplanned hospital readmissions in the US: a systematic review. J Hosp Admin 8(1):16–26.
- Finlasyon E, Maselli J, Steinman MA et al (2011) Inappropriate medication use in older adults undergoing surgery: a national study. J Am Geriatr Soc 59(11):2139–2144.
- Flood K, MacLennan PA, McGrew D et al (2013) Effects of an acute care for elders unit on costs and 30-day readmissions. JAMA Intern Med 173(11):981–987.
- Fogg C, Griffiths P, Meredith P et al (2018) Hospital outcomes of older people with cognitive impairment: an integrative review. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 33:1177–1197.
- Fox MT, Persaud M, Maimets I et al (2012) Effectiveness of acute geriatric unit care using acute care for elders components: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Geriatr Soc 60(12):2237–2245.
- Gentry MT, Lapid MI, Rummans TA (2019) Geriatric telepsychiatry: systematic review and policy considerations. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 27(2):109–127.
- Goldstein J, McVey J, Ackroyd-Stolarz S (2016) The role of emergency medical services in geriatrics: bridging the gap between primary and acute care. Can J Emerg Med 18(1):54–61.
- Gupta S, Perry JA, Kozar R (2019) Transitions of care in geriatric medicine. Clin Geriatr Med 35:45–52.
- Hartjes TM (2015) Making the case for palliative care in critical care. Crit Care Nurs Clin North Am 27(3):289–295.
- Hickman L, Newton P, Halcomb EJ et al (2007) Best practice interventions to improve the management of older people in acute care settings: a literature review. J Adv Nurs 60(2):113–126.
- Hirshon JM, Risko N, Calvello E et al (2013) Health systems and services: the role of acute care. Bull World Health Organ 91:386–388.
- Hung WW, Ross JS, Farber J et al (2013) Evaluation of the mobile acute care of the elderly (MACE) service. JAMA Intern Med 173(11):990–996.
- Hwang U, Shah MN, Han JH (2013) Transforming emergency care for older adults. Health Aff (Millwood) 32(12):2116–2121.
- Inouye SK, Stuenski S, Tinetti ME et al (2007) Geriatric syndromes: clinical, research, and policy implications of a core geriatric concept. J Am Geriatr Soc 55(5):780–791.
- Kansagara D, Englander H, Salanitro A et al (2011) Risk prediction models for hospital readmission: a systematic review. JAMA 306(15):1688–1698.
- Karlekar MB, Maxwell CA, Dietrich MS et al (2017) Creating new opportunities to educate families on the impact of frailty and cognitive impairment in a trauma intensive care unit: results of a quality improvement project. J Palliat Med 20(2):193–196.
- Kruser JM, Taylor LJ, Campbell TC et al (2017) “Best-case/worse case”: training surgeons to use a novel communication tool for high-risk acute surgical problems. J Pain Symptom Manag 53(4):711–719.
- Lovelace D, Hancock D, Hughes SS et al (2016) A patient-centered transitional care case management program: taking case management to the streets and beyond. Prof Case Manag 21(6):277–290.
- Mogul AS, Cline DM, Gabbard J et al (2019) Missed opportunities: integrating palliative care into the emergency department for older adults presenting as level 1 triage priority from long-term care facilities. J Emerg Med 56(2):145–512.
- Mollers T, Stocker H, Wei W et al (2019) Length of hospital stay and dementia: a systematic review of observational studies. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 34:8–21.
- Nothelle SK, Sharma R, Oakes AH et al (2017) Determinants of potentially inappropriate medication use in long-term and acute care settings: a systematic review. J Am Med Dir Assoc 18:806.e1.
- Ouchi E, George N, Schuur JD et al (2019) Goals-of-care conversations for older adults with serious illness in the emergency department: challenges and opportunities. Ann Emerg Med.
- Perry A, Tejada M, Melady D (2018) An approach to the older patient in the emergency department. Clin Geriatr Med 34(3):299–311.
- Romero-Ortuno R, Forsyth DR, Wilson KJ et al (2017) The association of geriatric syndromes with hospital outcomes. J Hosp Med 12(2):83–89.
- Schubert C, Parks R, Coffing JM et al (2018) Lessons and outcomes of mobile acute care for elders consultation in a veterans affairs medical center. J Am Geriatr Soc 67:818.
- Shah MN, Gillespie SM, Wood N et al (2013) High-intensity telemedicine-enhanced acute care for older adults: an innovative healthcare delivery model. J Am Geriatr Soc 61(11):2000–2007.
- Sheikh F, Gathecha E, Bellantoni M et al (2018) A call to bridge across silos during care transitions. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 44(5):270–278.
- Soares Menezes KVR, Auger C, de Souza Menezes WR et al (2017) Instruments to evaluate mobility capacity of older adults during hospitalization: a systematic review. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 72:67–79.
- Stockwell-Smith G, Moyle W, Marshall AP (2018) Hospital discharge processes involving older adults living with dementia: an integrated literature review. J Clin Nurs 27:e712.