Anterior Cerebral Artery (A1 Segment) Aneurysm: a Very Small Incidental A1 Aneurysm Treated with p48 Flow Diverter with Good Clinical and Angiographic Outcome
- 20 Downloads
365体育网站A very small aneurysm arising from the posterior wall of the A1 segment of the left anterior cerebral artery (ACA) was found incidentally in a 60-year-old female patient who presented with headaches and diplopia due to a large right posterior communicating artery aneurysm (PcomA) with mass effect. The A1 aneurysm was treated using an endovascular flow diversion technique with a p48 Flow Modulation Device (phenox). The patient had a good clinical and angiographic outcome. Angiography confirmed that the aneurysm had been completely excluded while the anterior cerebral artery remained patent. The various treatment criteria and endovascular methods available to treat very small aneurysms and enable flow diversion in small vessels distal to the circle of Willis are the main topics of this chapter.
KeywordsAnterior cerebral artery Very small aneurysm Small parent artery p48 Flow diverter
- Beck J, Rohde S, Berkefeld J, Seifert V, Raabe A. Size and location of ruptured and unruptured intracranial aneurysms measured by 3-dimensional rotational angiography. Surg Neurol. 2006;65(1):18–25. Discussion 25–7. .
- Becske T, Kallmes DF, Saatci I, McDougall CG, Szikora I, Lanzino G, Moran CJ, Woo HH, Lopes DK, Berez AL, Cher DJ, Siddiqui AH, Levy EI, Albuquerque FC, Fiorella DJ, Berentei Z, Marosfoi M, Cekirge SH, Nelson PK. Pipeline for uncoilable or failed aneurysms: results from a multicenter clinical trial. Radiology. 2013;267(3):858–68. .
- Becske T, Brinjikji W, Potts MB, Kallmes DF, Shapiro M, Moran CJ, Levy EI, McDougall CG, Szikora I, Lanzino G, Woo HH, Lopes DK, Siddiqui AH, Albuquerque FC, Fiorella DJ, Saatci I, Cekirge SH, Berez AL, Cher DJ, Berentei Z, Marosfoi M, Nelson PK. Long-term clinical and angiographic outcomes following pipeline embolization device treatment of complex internal carotid artery aneurysms: five-year results of the pipeline for uncoilable or failed aneurysms trial. Neurosurgery. 2017;80(1):40–8. .
- Bhogal P, Martinez Moreno R, Ganslandt O, Bäzner H, Henkes H, Aguilar Pérez M. Use of flow diverters in the treatment of unruptured saccular aneurysms of the anterior cerebral artery. J Neurointerv Surg. 2017;9(3):283–9. 27. .
- Bhogal P, Chudyk J, Bleise C, Lylyk I, Perez N, Henkes H, Lylyk P. The use of flow diversion in vessels ≤2.5 mm in diameter – a single-center experience. World Neurosurg. 2018;118:e575–83. .
- Bhogal P, Bleise C, Chudyk J, Lylyk I, Viso R, Perez N, Henkes H, Lylyk P. The p48mw flow diverter – initial human experience. Clin Neuroradiol. 2019; .
- Brinjikji W, Lanzino G, Cloft HJ, Rabinstein A, Kallmes DF. Endovascular treatment of very small (3 mm or smaller) intracranial aneurysms: report of a consecutive series and a meta-analysis. Stroke. 2010;41(1):116–21. .
- Colby GP, Bender MT, Lin LM, Beaty N, Huang J, Tamargo RJ, Coon AL. Endovascular flow diversion for treatment of anterior communicating artery region cerebral aneurysms: a single-center cohort of 50 cases. J Neurointerv Surg. 2017;9(7):679–85. .
- Dabus G, Grossberg JA, Cawley CM, Dion JE, Puri AS, Wakhloo AK, Gonsales D, Aguilar-Salinas P, Sauvageau E, Linfante I, Hanel RA. Treatment of complex anterior cerebral artery aneurysms with pipeline flow diversion: mid-term results. J Neurointerv Surg. 2017;9(2):147–51. .
- Iskandar A, Nepper-Rasmussen J. Endovascular treatment of very small intracranial aneurysms. Interv Neuroradiol. 2011;17(3):299–305. .
- Japan Investigators UCAS, Morita A, Kirino T, Hashi K, Aoki N, Fukuhara S, Hashimoto N, Nakayama T, Sakai M, Teramoto A, Tominari S, Yoshimoto T. The natural course of unruptured cerebral aneurysms in a Japanese cohort. N Engl J Med. 2012;366(26):2474–82. .
- Juvela S, Porras M, Heiskanen O. Natural history of unruptured intracranial aneurysms: a long-term follow-up study. J Neurosurg. 1993;79(2):174–82. .
- Juvela S, Porras M, Poussa K. Natural history of unruptured intracranial aneurysms: probability and risk factors for aneurysm rupture. Neurosurg Focus. 2000;8(5):379–387. .
- Juvela S, Porras M, Poussa K. Natural history of unruptured intracranial aneurysms: probability of and risk factors for aneurysm rupture. J Neurosurg. 2008;108(5):1052–60. .
- Malhotra A, Wu X, Forman HP, Matouk CC, Gandhi D, Sanelli P. Management of tiny unruptured intracranial aneurysms: a comparative effectiveness analysis. JAMA Neurol. 2018;75(1):27–34. .
- Molyneux A, Kerr R, Stratton I, Sandercock P, Clarke M, Shrimpton J, Holman R. International subarachnoid aneurysm trial (ISAT) collaborative group. International subarachnoid aneurysm trial (ISAT) of neurosurgical clipping versus endovascular coiling in 2143 patients with ruptured intracranial aneurysms: a randomised trial. Lancet. 2002;360(9342):1267–74. .
- Nelson PK, Lylyk P, Szikora I, Wetzel SG, Wanke I, Fiorella D. The pipeline embolization device for the intracranial treatment of aneurysms trial. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2011;32(1):34–40. .
- Ohashi Y, Horikoshi T, Sugita M, Yagishita T, Nukui H. Size of cerebral aneurysms and related factors in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage. Surg Neurol. 2004;61(3):239–45. Discussion 245–7. .
- Puri AS, Massari F, Asai T, Marosfoi M, Kan P, Hou SY, Howk M, Perras M, Brooks C, Clarencon F, Gounis MJ, Wakhloo AK. Safety, efficacy, and short-term follow-up of the use of pipeline embolization device in small (<2.5 mm) cerebral vessels for aneurysm treatment: single institution experience. Neuroradiology. 2016;58(3):267–75. .
- Shapiro M, Raz E, Becske T, Nelson PK. Variable porosity of the pipeline embolization device in straight and curved vessels: a guide for optimal deployment strategy. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2014;35(4):727–33. .
- Sluzewski M, van Rooij WJ, Cloft H. Is the risk of balloon assistance underinflated? AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2008;29(9):1782. .
- Sonobe M, Yamazaki T, Yonekura M, Kikuchi H. Small unruptured intracranial aneurysm verification study: SUAVe study, Japan. Stroke. 2010;41(9):1969–77. .
- Wiebers DO, Whisnant JP, Huston J 3rd, Meissner I, Brown RD Jr, Piepgras DG, Forbes GS, Thielen K, Nichols D, O'Fallon WM, Peacock J, Jaeger L, Kassell NF, Kongable-Beckman GL, Torner JC. International study of unruptured intracranial aneurysms Investigators. Unruptured intracranial aneurysms: natural history, clinical outcome, and risks of surgical and endovascular treatment. Lancet. 2003;362(9378):103–10.