Basilar Artery Bifurcation Aneurysm: Small Wide-Necked Incidental Basilar Artery Bifurcation Aneurysm, Treated with Staged pCONUS1 HPC Implantation and Coil Occlusion; Protrusion of a Coil Loop into the Basilar Artery Bifurcation, Which Prompted the Removal of That Coil Using an Alligator Device
- 24 Downloads
A 64-year-old man underwent an MRI/MRA examination as a diagnostic work-up for an epileptic seizure. A small, saccular, wide-necked aneurysm of the basilar artery bifurcation was diagnosed and endovascular treatment thus offered. A pCONUS1 HPC was successfully implanted into the aneurysm and the distal basilar artery. Coil occlusion was scheduled for 7 weeks later. While inserting the coils, a loop from an already detached 3D coil migrated from the aneurysmal dome into the shaft of the pCONUS1 HPC, protruding into the basilar artery bifurcation. This herniating coil loop was considered a potential source of emboli. It was therefore removed with an Alligator Retrieval Device. The coil occlusion of the aneurysm was completed as intended. The endovascular removal of dislodged coils is the main topic of this chapter.
KeywordsBasilar artery bifurcation pCONUS1 HPC Misplaced coils Alligator retrieval device Foreign body removal
- Aguilar Pérez M, Kühn A, Miloslavski E, Henkes H. Cavernous redirection of venous drainage after partial transvenous coil occlusion of a sigmoid sinus dAVF: coil mass retrieval with flexible cysto-urethroscopy grasping forceps. A technical note. Interv Neuroradiol. 2011;17(2):203–7. .
- Aguilar-Pérez M, Kurre W, Fischer S, Bäzner H, Henkes H. Coil occlusion of wide-neck bifurcation aneurysms assisted by a novel intra- to extra-aneurysmatic neck-bridging device (pCONus): initial experience. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2014;35(5):965–71. .
- Fessler RD, Ringer AJ, Qureshi AI, Guterman LR, Hopkins LN. Intracranial stent placement to trap an extruded coil during endovascular aneurysm treatment: technical note. Neurosurgery. 2000;46(1):248–51; discussion 251–3
- Fiorella D, Albuquerque FC, Deshmukh VR, McDougall CG. Monorail snare technique for the recovery of stretched platinum coils: technical case report. Neurosurgery. 2005;57(1 Suppl):E210; discussion E210. .
- He C, Chen J, Hussain M, Ding Y, Zhang H. Retrieval of a migrated coil with a handmade microwire-snare device. Acta Neurochir. 2016;158(8):1539–43. .
- Henkes H, Weber W. The past, present and future of endovascular aneurysm treatment. Clin Neuroradiol. 2015;25(Suppl 2):317–24. .
- Henkes H, Lowens S, Preiss H, Reinartz J, Miloslavski E, Kühne D. A new device for endovascular coil retrieval from intracranial vessels: Alligator retrieval device. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2006;27(2):327–9.
- Masahira N, Ohta T, Fukui N, Yanagawa T, Kondou Y, Morimoto M, Ueba T. A direct aspiration first pass technique for retrieval of a detached coil. J Neurointerv Surg. 2016;8(11):e44.
- Oh J, Kim J, Hong S, Hu C, Pyen J, Whang K, Cho S, You DS. Retrieval of unintended migrated detached coil: case report. J Cerebrovasc Endovasc Neurosurg. 2014;16(3):268–74. .
- O’Hare AM, Rogopoulos AM, Stracke PC, Chapot RG. Retrieval of displaced coil using a Solitaire(®) sent. Clin Neuroradiol. 2010;20(4):251–4. .
- Yonaha H, Hyodo A, Inaji T, Ito K, Kushi S, Tsuchida K, Saito A, Sugimoto K, Yoshii Y. Thromboembolic events associated with coil protrusion into parent arteries after GDC treatment. Interv Neuroradiol. 2006;12(Suppl 1):105–11. .
- Zaidat OO, Castonguay AC, Rai AT, Badruddin A, Mack WJ, Alshekhlee AK, Shah QA, Hussain SI, Kabbani MR, Bulsara KR, Taqi AM, Janardhan V, Patterson MS, Nordhaus BL, Elijovich L, Puri AS. TARGET® intracranial aneurysm coiling prospective multicenter registry: final analysis of peri-procedural and long-term safety and efficacy results. Front Neurol. 2019;10:737. .