Cavernous Internal Carotid Artery Aneurysm: Rupture of a Presumably Traumatic Cavernous Internal Carotid Artery Pseudoaneurysm with Life-Threatening Epistaxis After Endonasal Pansinus Surgery
- 81 Downloads
365体育网站An 85-year-old female patient was referred to our institution by the ENT department of another hospital with nonarresting epistaxis and severe blood loss caused by a ruptured cavernous internal carotid artery (ICA) pseudoaneurysm extending into the sphenoid sinus. Preceding transnasal pansinus surgeries had presumably perforated the bone wall of the sphenoid sinus and affected the arterial wall, which had allowed a traumatic pseudoaneurysm to develop. Emergent DSA with endovascular coil occlusion of the aneurysm was performed which in turn revealed a mechanically caused high-grade stenosis with thrombotic plaques in the distal ICA. Although no ischemic infarct occurred, due to the effect of earlier epistaxis on hemodynamic stability, the patient died of cardiac failure 2 weeks later. Epistaxis in the context of cavernous ICA pseudoaneurysms is the main topic of this chapter.
KeywordsInternal carotid artery aneurysm Coiling Pansinus surgery Sphenoid sinus Epistaxis
- Chaboki H, Patel AB, Freifeld S, Urken ML, Som PM. Cavernous carotid aneurysm presenting with epistaxis. Head Neck. 2004;26(8):741–6. .
- Chambers EF, Rosenbaum AE, Norman D, Newton TH. Traumatic aneurysms of cavernous internal carotid artery with secondary epistaxis. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1981;2(5):405–9.
- Cohen JE, Gomori JM, Segal R, Spivak A, Margolin E, Sviri G, Rajz G, Fraifeld S, Spektor S. Results of endovascular treatment of traumatic intracranial aneurysms. Neurosurgery. 2008;63(3):476–85 ; discussion 485–6. .
- Dubey A, Sung WS, Chen YY, Amato D, Mujic A, Waites P, Erasmus A, Hunn A. Traumatic intracranial aneurysm: a brief review. J Clin Neurosci. 2008;15(6):609–12. .
- Garg K, Gurjar HK, Singh PK, Singh M, Chandra PS, Sharma BS. Internal carotid artery aneurysms presenting with epistaxis – our experience and review of literature. Turk Neurosurg. 2016;26(3):357–63. .
- Holmes B, Harbaugh RE. Traumatic intracranial aneurysms: a contemporary review. J Trauma. 1993;35(6):855–60. Review
- Larson PS, Reisner A, Morassutti DJ, Abdulhadi B, Harpring JE. Traumatic intracranial aneurysms. Neurosurg Focus. 2000;8(1):e4. Review
- Lempert TE, Halbach VV, Higashida RT, Dowd CF, Urwin RW, Balousek PA, Hieshima GB. Endovascular treatment of pseudoaneurysms with electrolytically detachable coils. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1998;19(5):907–11.
- Renn WH, Rhoton AL Jr. Microsurgical anatomy of the sellar region. J Neurosurg. 1975;43(3):288–98. .
- Ronchetti G, Panciani PP, Cornali C, Mardighian D, Villaret AB, Stefini R, Fontanella MM, Gasparotti R. Ruptured aneurysm in sphenoid sinus: which is the best treatment? Case Rep Neurol. 2013;5(1):1–5. .